- About Winston-Salem
- What to Do
- Events Calendar
- Special Offers
- Nightlife / Entertainment
- Special Events
- Winston-Salem Open
- Bookmarks Festival of Books and Authors
- Hispanic League's Fiesta Festival
- Dixie Classic Fair
- Pride Festival and Parade
- Piedmont Craftsmen's Fair
- Festival of Lights
- The Nutcracker
- RiverRun International Film Festival
- NC Wine Festival
- Gears & Guitars
- Texas Pete Spirits of Summer
- National Black Theatre Festival
- Order a Visitor Guide
- Where to Stay
- Getting Here
Business 40 Improvement Project
As Winston-Salem's downtown continues to be a thriving urban hub, the 1.2-mile stretch of Business 40 that runs through downtown is underway for structural improvements and overall beautification. The three-year project, spearheaded by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT), is a multi-phased project is slated for completion Spring 2020. The finished project will offer travelers safer roadways in and out of Winston-Salem's bustling downtown, and add and improve pedestrian walkways through and around downtown.
While the 1.2-mile section of Business 40 between Peters Creek Parkway and U.S. 52. is closed, you can watch the construction progress, get interactive maps, find up-to-date road closure information and easy-to-navigate detour routes here.
For up-to-date detours, NCDOT has partnered with WAZE to bring you real-time traffic information in and around the Business 40 Improvement Project.
If you have any questions, please call Visit Winston-Salem toll-free at 866.728.4200 or email email@example.com.
The Business 40 Improvement project will include:
- Replacing the existing roadway pavement
- Modernizing entrance and exit ramps
- Replacing nine vehicular bridges and two pedestrian bridges
- Lengthening the acceleration and deceleration lanes between ramps
- Widening existing roadway shoulders and adding new shoulders
- Building portions of a multi-use path from Lockland Avenue to Liberty Street
- Increasing the speed limit to 55 mph
- Renaming all of US 421/Business 40 "Salem Parkway"
Beginning Sunday, July 7 at 9 p.m., the outside lane of eastbound and westbound Business 40 will be closed between Cloverdale Avenue and Peters Creek Parkway. This closure will reduce Business 40 traffic, at this location, to one lane in each direction for approximately 90 days.
Initially, the outside lane in each direction will be closed and then at some time during the middle of the 90-day closure, the outside lanes will be opened and the inside lanes will be closed. The scheduled completion date for this work is October 5, 2019.
With the westbound direction of Business 40 being reduced to one lane beginning at Peters Creek Parkway, crews will also reduce the ramp from Peters Creek Parkway to westbound Business 40 to one lane. Consequently, one of the left turn lanes from Peters Creek Parkway will be closed in front of BB&T Ballpark.
During this closure time, crews will work to lower the elevation of the new Business 40, between Fourth Street and Peters Creek Parkway, creating a smoother transition when all of Business 40 is opened in Spring 2020.
Liberty Street bridge is now open!
- As of August 1, Business 40 construction crews are closing the intersection of High Street and Brookstown Avenue in downtown Winston-Salem, extending the Brookstown Avenue closure to include the Brookstown Avenue / High Street intersection. With High Street being a one-way traffic pattern, closing the intersection prevents access to the parking lot of the Shaffner House/Flour Box Tea Room and Cafe. To provide access, the portion of High Street between Marshall Street and the parking lot has been temporarily changed to a two-way pattern. Motorists traveling north on Marshall Street can turn left onto High Street and access the parking lot.
Going to the Dash game? Follow the new traffic pattern that will lead you straight to BB&T Ballpark below.
The Dash’s 10th anniversary season at BB&T Ballpark will begin Thursday, April 11. As the organization prepares to celebrate this monumental milestone, the team has revealed new traffic plans to provide fans easy access to BB&T Ballpark. By taking advantage of the recommended traffic patterns below, fans can best avoid any delays in their normal ballpark commute.
The new BB&T Ballpark traffic map can be found here. The map includes step-by-step instructions for fans that are also outlined below:
From the North: Merge onto US-52 S. Take Martin Luther King Dr. and take a left onto Marshall St. until you get to Fifth St. and take a right. Follow Fifth St. to Broad St. and take a left. Take the Broad St. entrance on the right into the ballpark.
From the East (from Business 40 Westbound): Merge onto US-52 S. Take Research Pkwy exit. Turn right onto Research Pkwy. Turn left onto City Yard Dr. then continue on to Salem Ave. Take a right on Broad St. then crossover Business 40 Bridge. Take the Broad St. entrance on the left into the ballpark.
From the West: Merge onto I-40 E. Merge onto Business 40 E/US 421 S will come to an end at the Peters Creek Pkwy Exit, Exit 5A. Take Peters Creek Pkwy Exit and turn right at the light. Follow Peters Creek to Broad St. and take a right. Crossover First St. and then take the Broad St. entrance on the right into the ballpark.
From the South: Merge onto US-52 N. Merge onto I-40 W via Exit 109B. Take Peters Creek Pkwy exit, Exit 192. Turn left onto Peters Creek Pkwy for three miles. Take a right on Broad St. and crossover First St. Take Broad St. entrance on the right into the ballpark.
Alternate Routes to Bypass / Avoid Game Day Traffic
Traffic on First and Broad streets will be congested around BB&T Ballpark at rush hour when the Dash play at home this season. Visitors and downtown commuters needing to access Business 40 West from downtown are advised to use alternative routes to on game days to avoid delays (SEE MAP):
Using Sixth Street & Northwest Blvd. (Traveling West)
- Travel West on Sixth Street
- Turn right onto Broad Street and Northwest Blvd.
- Turn left onto Northwest Blvd. (Then see two optional routes from here)
- Option 1: Turn left onto Hawthorne Road to then merge right onto Cloverdale Avenue. Merge onto Business 40 West on your right.
- Option 2: Take Northwest Blvd to First Street. Turn Right onto First Street.
- Turn Left onto Stratford Road. Merge onto Business 40 Westbound on your right.
Using Research Parkway
From the East side of downtown, drivers are advised to take Research Parkway to Highway 52 South. Then merge onto Interstate 40 West.
For up to date detours, NCDOT has partnered with Waze to bring you real-time traffic information in and around the Business 40 project site.
View an illustration of the detour routes here: Business 40 - Detour Routes
Business 40 Construction Map
You can view updated information for the Business 40 construction project at the project website: www.business40nc.com
PART – Your Business 40 Transportation Resource
The Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation (PART) wants to help you reduce the stress and challenges getting to work during the Business 40 closure. We have programs and services that can help you use your daily commute to do more than just fight traffic! Sharing the ride just one day a week can make a difference.
New and improved transportation options and discounts have been developed with funding from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT).
Visit www.partnc.org/biz40 to find out more about enhanced bus service, vanpool options, and even 50% discounts to ride!
Business 40 Project Milestones
Peters Creek Parkway construction -- Began Fall 2017 - Fall 2018
Business 40 Close -- Fall 2018
Project Complete* -- Spring 2020
* Future dates are preliminary and subject to change.