- About Winston-Salem
- What to Do
- Events Calendar
- Special Offers
- Nightlife / Entertainment
- Special Events
- Piedmont Craftsmen's Fair
- Festival of Lights
- The Nutcracker
- RiverRun International Film Festival
- NC Wine Festival
- Gears & Guitars
- Texas Pete Spirits of Summer
- Winston-Salem Open
- Bookmarks Festival of Books and Authors
- Hispanic League's Fiesta Festival
- Carolina Classic Fair
- Pride Festival and Parade
- National Black Theatre Festival
- Order a Visitor Guide
- Where to Stay
- Getting Here
Arts & Events Marketing Assistance
Visit Winston-Salem allocates up to two percent of its occupancy tax appropriation from its adopted annual budget for support of arts, culture, local festivals and events. The theme and focus of local events applying for funds must be consistent with the Visit Winston-Salem mission and marketing strategies. The funds are used to enhance the event’s external advertising, marketing and promotional efforts while supporting Visit Winston-Salem’s destination branding strategy. Applications are reviewed and evaluated by the Forsyth County Tourism Development Authority Marketing Committee. This committee is comprised of four Tourism Development Authority members, a representative from the Forsyth County Hotel Association, Association of Visitor Attractions (AVA) and the Arts Council.
• Marketing must be in alignment with and support Visit Winston-Salem’s mission and marketing strategies. To see a copy of the executive summary of our marketing & sales plan for the click here or to learn more about the visitor research we have conducted, click here.
• Marketability of the event or campaign to generate overnight hotel occupancy by non-local visitors from outside Winston-Salem/Forsyth County
• Dollars may only be spent for advertising, marketing, and promotions outside of Forsyth County and in key visitor feeder markets
• Must include partnering/packaging with at least one Forsyth County hotel property to ensure generation of hotel room nights
• Must include a research component to track attendance (and demographic information) and historic research showing data/results
• Funds are reimbursement only; invoice and proof of payment for expenditures must be submitted to Visit Winston-Salem at the conclusion of the event/campaign
• When an arts/local event generates more than 1,000 hotel room nights, they may be considered for Visit Winston-Salem's Convention and Sales Support (CSS) funding
• Submissions must be formatted to correspond to and be in alignment with the application outline
• Marketing details and media buy/placement supporting your event/exhibition/project AND hotel package details must be submitted to Visit Winston-Salem at least 90 days prior to event
• Marketing activity of event, including promotion of hotel package(s), must commence at least 60 days prior to event
• Where applicable, the Visit Winston-Salem logo and/or link to visitwinstonsalem.com should be included in your marketing/promotional executions
• Monday, January 28, 2019: 2018/19 Arts and Events Marketing Guidelines and Application posted online.
• Friday, March 29 at noon: Deadline to submit Arts and Events Marketing Applications; applications can be mailed, hand-delivered or e-mailed to Visit Winston-Salem Offices.
• Wednesday, June 19, 2019, at 2 p.m.: Forsyth County Tourism Development Authority approves Visit Winston-Salem Budget and Arts and Events Marketing Assistance funding recipients.
Application and Guidelines
For additional information, please contact Marcheta Cole Keefer, Visit Winston-Salem's director of marketing & communications by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 336.728.4211.